The Industry’s Most Valuable OASIS Certification
We are pleased to offer our industry’s newest and most valuable OASIS Certification, the Certified OASIS Quality Specialist designation (COQS).
Why is the COQS so Valuable?
- Clinicians and other OASIS experts can obtain OASIS certification completely online with our online certification course and examination.
- No need to leave the office, no travel expenses, test on your own time.
- COQS certificants receive free annual competency testing, frequent webinars and “Ask the Expert” sessions to stay up to date with OASIS excellence best practice.
- The COQS course and exam include The OASIS Walk® that teaches how to use OASIS as an effective care planning tool in the home.
- Clinicians with other OASIS certifications may take the COQS recertification exam at a discounted price.
- The COQS preparation course is approved for approximately 16 ANCC and BCHH-C contact hours.
Developed by industry leading OASIS experts, the complete COQS program includes:
- A comprehensive, effective, engaging, convenient and affordable 8-week online OASIS certification preparation course and practice exam.
- A 100-question proctored certification exam which can be taken online from the convenience of home or office. Certification demonstrates to employers and colleagues that an individual possesses the ability to accurately interpret assessment data and complete the CMS OASIS Item set in a compliant fashion.
- An 80-question proctored recertification exam for candidates with proof of OASIS certification in good standing.
- We’ve packaged the course and exam together for highest impact and greatest value. Participants may choose to purchase the package, or may purchase the course and exam individually.
- A printed copy of Fazzi’s OASIS-D Field Guide to Data Collection.
- Focused information for PDGM and OASIS-D1 Readiness.
More Benefits of the COQS:
- Led by OASIS expert, instructor, enthusiast, devotee, coach and mentor, Anita Werner, the quality of the course instruction and materials is outstanding.
- Developed, reviewed, psychometrically analyzed and beta tested by industry leading OASIS experts, the COQS is an accurate and important measure of OASIS proficiency.
- COQS certificate holders are entitled to these additional benefits to continuously stay up to date with OASIS excellence best practice:
- Complimentary webinars on challenging areas.
- Complimentary “Ask Anita” Q+A sessions.
- Automatic and complimentary admission to Fazzi’s annual National OASIS Testing Project.
- Candidates with proof of active OASIS certification in good standing from other certification programs are welcome to sit for the 80-question recertification COQS exam at the discounted recertification price.
What is the online OASIS Certification Preparation Course?
Fazzi’s online OASIS Certification Preparation Course is designed to prepare participants for successfully achieving OASIS Certification. Anyone wishing to achieve a strong knowledge of OASIS with the ability to accurately interpret assessment data and complete the CMS OASIS Item set in a compliant fashion is welcome to take this course.
Is the exam included in the bundle?
Yes! The COQS bundle includes the 8-week online preparation course, the certification (or recertification) exam and the OASIS-D Field Guide to Data Collection.
How does the course work?
The COQS Preparation Course includes 8 weekly modules. At the start of each week, a new module is opened that includes a combination of presentation videos, practice activities, live webinar Q&A sessions, and discussion with course colleagues. Participants should expect to spend 2-2.5 hours per week completing each module.
Upon completion of the course, participants will receive access to a practice certification exam to test their readiness. Once ready, participants may sign up to complete the COQS or other certification exam on their own schedule.
Is the course approved for contact hours?
Yes, the course is approved for approximately 16 ANCC and BCHH-C contact hours. You will be able to earn your contact hours certificate by completing all activities and then completing the post-test at the end of the course. Additional contact hours will also be available for participation in the weekly Q&A sessions.
What if I’m on vacation for a week or two during the program? Can I still sign up?
Yes! The program is designed so that you can work through modules any time after their weekly release, and all live webinars are recorded and available for your review at a later time that’s convenient for you.
Do I need to take the COQS immediately after completing the course?
While we encourage Preparation Course participants to take the exam soon after successful completion of the course, participants may complete the certification exam anytime.
How is the COQS certification attained?
Candidates may take a proctored online examination through the Fazzi Learning Center. Additionally, the proctored online examination is offered through the State Associations that sponsor the COQS preparation course and certification exam.
Am I required to complete the COQS Preparation Course in order to take the exam?
No. While the COQS Preparation Course is recommended to assist you in preparing for the exam, it is not required.
How long is the COQS valid?
The certification is valid for three years at which time an 80-question recertification examination may be taken to maintain credentialed status. The recertification exam is shorter (80 questions) than the initial certification exam (100 questions), because candidates have demonstrated general competency with OASIS by passing the initial certification exam (COQS or other certifications). The recertification exam will incorporate newer guidance to show the test taker has kept up to date with the OASIS guidance as well as questions related to long-standing guidance in order to demonstrate they have not ‘lost’ any of their old knowledge base.
Who should sit for the COQS certification examination?
Anyone wishing to demonstrate proficiency in the OASIS may sit for the examination. As the OASIS is a complex assessment tool with extensive guidance, it is recommended that individuals have formal education and at least one year of experience working the OASIS data set prior to testing. There are no formal requirements for prior education or experience.
What Domains Are Covered By the Preparation Course and Exam?
- Medicare OASIS regulations and requirements 10%
- Time point requirements for OASIS data collection
- Definitions and conventions for OASIS completion
- Application of OASIS data 5%
- OASIS and quality outcomes/Star Ratings/Reimbursement
- OASIS correction policies
- OASIS Item and guidance application – 85%
- Patient tracking and history M-Items and GG-Items
- Clinical assessment M-Items
- Functional assessment M-Items and GG-Items
- Caregiving and living arrangement M-Items
- Process measure assessment M-Items
- Episode timing and therapy service M-Items
- Fall outcome measure J-Items
What if I already have OASIS certification through another agency?
Candidates with proof of active OASIS certification in good standing from other certification programs are welcome to sit for the 80-question COQS recertification exam at the discounted recertification price. The recertification exam is shorter (80 questions) than the initial certification exam (100 questions), because candidates have demonstrated general competency with OASIS by passing the initial certification exam (COQS or other certifications). The recertification exam will incorporate newer guidance to show the test taker has kept up to date with the OASIS guidance as well as questions related to long-standing guidance in order to demonstrate they have not ‘lost’ any of their old knowledge base. After you purchase a seat to the recertification exam, you’ll be able to upload proof existing certification to the Fazzi Learning Center and then schedule your exam.
How can a person prepare for the COQS examination?
Fazzi offers a comprehensive certification preparation program for candidates wishing to improve their knowledge of the OASIS. This course is available in two ways:
- An 8-week online preparation course and practice exam is offered through the Fazzi Learning Center.
- Individual agencies and state associations may sponsor the on-site preparation course and certification exam.
Both programs are comprehensive, engaging and effective. They provide in-depth education not only on completion of the OASIS Items, but information necessary to accurately determine CMS OASIS requirements as outlined in the Guidance Manual, official Q&A documents, and the Conditions of Participation for Medicare certified Home Health agencies.
The online course combines interactive online education with printed materials and webinars to maximize understanding of OASIS concepts. Candidates participating in this offering of the COQS course will receive a free copy of Fazzi’s “Field Guide to OASIS-D Data Collection”. This guide in combination with other course handouts will provide all of the reference material needed to sit for the COQS examination.
How was the COQS developed?
Developed, reviewed, beta tested and psychometrically analyzed by industry leading OASIS experts, the COQS is an accurate and important measure of OASIS proficiency. Here is how it was developed:
- Phase 1: Exam questions are written by two Fazzi OASIS experts. 150 total questions are written for a goal of a 100 question exam.
- Phase 2: The Fazzi expert review panel reviews the test questions and provides input on questions and responses. This input is sent back to the expert writers for review and revisions.
- Phase 3: The Beta Test is administered to a beta group of 25 clinicians with proven advanced OASIS knowledge. Construct validity is measured for each test question using question response rates (% correct/incorrect) and through feedback collected from testers. Questions with an incorrect response rate of 50% or higher are automatically eliminated. All other questions are reviewed based on feedback provided.
- Phase 4: The test is revised and distributed again to the initial 25 initial beta testers. Test-retest reliability is measured based on consistency and response rates for each of the remaining questions. Questions with reliability less than 75% are eliminated.
- Phase 5: The edited test is distributed to a second beta group of 75 testers with intermediate and advanced OASIS knowledge. The cut score (passing score) is determined based on the beta test results.
See our expert review panel.
What is the cost of the exam?
- Initial Certification Fee: $289 ($199 if taken with Fazzi’s COQS online or on-site preparation course)
- Recertification Fee: $199 (available to COQS and other OASIS certification holders with proof of active certification in good standing)
How do I schedule an exam?
All exams are scheduled online through the Fazzi Learning Center. You will be enrolled in an exam course, and from this course you will be able to schedule an online exam session through our proctoring partner, ProctorU. You will need to register at least 72 hours ahead of your session. If taking the exam on an agency computer, we highly recommend verifying the ability to use a webcam proctoring service with your IT department prior to scheduling, or please plan to take the exam on a personal computer.
What happens if I need to reschedule an exam?
Exams may be rescheduled up to 24 hours prior to the scheduled test time. Candidates wishing to reschedule exams with less than 24 hours notice will not be refunded and may be charged an additional fee.
What to expect on exam day
Candidates should login at least fifteen minutes prior to their exam start time. Once logged in, they will be connected with their online proctor, provide required identification, have their exam materials inspected (if applicable), and receive additional instructions.
What type of identification do I need to take the exam?
Candidates will be required to present their Test Taker Authorization Code and one form of identification upon their arrival at the test site. If taking the exam online, the identification must be shown via webcam to the online proctor. The form of identification must be a government-issued photo ID. Acceptable forms of primary government-issued photo identification include:
- Driver’s license or learner’s permit including a valid expiration date
- Military identification for members, spouses, or dependents
- Passport or passport card
- Green card or permanent resident visa
If you have a form of identification not on this list, please contact Fazzi prior to your testing date to inquire whether it will be accepted at the test site.
Candidates without all required identification will not be allowed to test.
What about test security?
Candidates will also be required to sign a statement verifying their identity, accepting all test security policies, and acknowledging potential consequences for violation of security policy. Violations of security policy include, but are not limited to:
- Use of unauthorized materials or devices
- Unauthorized communication with other candidates or with the proctor
- Giving false identification information
- Attempting to reproduce, remove, report, or distribute examination materials
- Creating a disturbance
Candidates may not communicate with anyone other than the proctor during the testing period. Candidates may not request any information regarding exam content from the proctor. Failure to comply will result in the candidate being disqualified from taking the exam, and may result in score cancelation for the candidate’s entire test group.
Allegations of candidate or proctor misconduct will be investigated. Any evidence of unacceptable behavior may result in score cancelation and other disciplinary measures as determined by Fazzi Associates.
In order to provide a consistent and fair experience for all test takers, to protect the integrity of the examinations, and to ensure the validity of certification examination scores, candidates must adhere to the guidelines established in the handling of examination materials. Candidates may not remove, reproduce, report, or distribute exam materials in any part and by any means, including electronic, manual, and verbal. Failing to comply is a copyright violation and will result in disciplinary measures including score cancelation, revocation of credentials, and prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.
What should I bring or not bring?
Candidates for the COQS may bring the following paper reference materials to the exam: CMS OASIS Guidance Manual, CMS OASIS Q&A’s and study materials spiral bound or contained in a binder. People are free to write notes in OASIS materials. All loose materials, including Post-It notes, must be removed prior to entering the testing area.
Electronic resources are not allowed.
No communication or other electronic devices will be permitted in the testing area. Cell phones or other handheld electronic devices must be turned completely off and placed out of reach during the test.
Candidates may bring water in either unopened commercial bottles or clear, unmarked reusable bottles. No other food or beverage is allowed for the duration of the exam, unless previously approved by the Fazzi through an accommodation request.
What conduct is required at the exam?
It is the responsibility of all candidates to keep certification exam content confidential and to treat others with courtesy and respect during the exam. Candidates will carefully read and listen to instructions prior to the start of the exam and will ask any questions related to exam administration procedure prior to the start of the exam. Candidates will leave quietly after submitting their exam either when they are finished, or at the end of the exam time.
How do I get my results?
COQS Exam candidates will receive their scores immediately after submission/completion of the exam. Fazzi reserves the right to withhold examination results for the duration of an investigation of candidate misconduct, or internal errors.
How is the exam score calculated?
Your percentage score will be given on a scale of 1 – 100. Your score is a representation of the percentage of all items answered correctly.
What is the COQS Certificant Directory?
Passing candidates’ names and states of residence will be published on the Fazzi website in the Certificant Directory. Candidates may choose to opt out of the Certificant Directory by contacting Fazzi in writing.
How do I get my certificate?
Certificates are mailed to all successful certificants 7-10 days after passing the exam.
How do I properly use the Credential?
Passing candidates are authorized to use the related credential following their names as long as certification remains valid and in good standing.
How often can I retest until I pass the exam?
Candidates may take the COQS a total of 3 times annually. Candidates who do not pass the test the first time must wait 30 days before retesting the second time. Candidates who do not pass the second time must wait 6 months before retesting for the third time. After that, a candidate must wait one year from their last attempt before retesting.
What if I want to appeal a disciplinary decision?
If candidates wish to appeal a disciplinary decision, they must submit a written request for appeal within 30 days of receiving the disciplinary decision. Candidates may only appeal on the grounds of material errors of fact or a procedural violation in their original disciplinary investigation. The Appeals Committee will review the appeal and notify the candidate of their decision within 30 days.
How do I report complaints about the exam?
Candidates must report any complaints regarding their test center, proctor, or testing misconduct to Fazzi in writing within twenty-four hours of their test time.
Candidates who fail the exam and believe irregular testing conditions were a contributing factor may file an appeal. Candidates who fail the exam and believe there has been a scoring error may request a hand-scoring of their exam. Appeals regarding the content of the exam, including specific exam questions, will not be considered.
How are complaints reviewed?
Complaints will be reviewed by the Fazzi Disciplinary Committee and all complaints judged to have merit will be investigated by the Committee. Members of the committee found to have a personal or familial relationship to the certificant in question will recuse themselves.
Candidates under investigation will be notified regarding the nature of the complaint and will have the opportunity to submit a written statement. Notification will include a copy of the disciplinary and appeals policy. The Disciplinary Investigation Committee may contact the individual for additional information as needed.
The Disciplinary Committee will determine what, if any, disciplinary actions will be taken. Disciplinary actions may include:
- Implementation of a probationary period
- Asking certificant to re-test
- Revocation of credentials
- Legal action if applicable
Is my personal information and exam score kept confidential?
Candidate information, including scores, will remain confidential. Fazzi will never distribute information to a third party. Individual results will only be distributed to authorized parties for the purposes of: scoring and investigations of misconduct or internal error. Exam performance and candidate demographic information will be used and distributed in aggregate form for purposes including but not limited to: required reporting, exam development and improvement, and research.
How often do I need to recertify?
The COQS is valid for 3-years. Certificants must recertify by re-testing on the current version of the certification exam in the third year of their certification cycle. The recertification exam is 80 questions and will incorporate regulatory and practice updates in all applicable domain areas. The certificant will be expected to achieve the passing score required of new certificants to recertify by test.
The certification cycle for new certificants begins the day after the credential is awarded and ends three years after the certification date. The three year certification period allows candidates time to demonstrate that they are dedicated to keeping up-to-date and incorporating annual regulatory updates, adjustments to the OASIS, and other changes in a quickly growing industry into their everyday professional practice.
What happens if I do not recertify?
Certificants failing to recertify by the end of their certification cycle will be removed from the Certificant Registry and may no longer use their credential.